I am a graduate student in the Department of Computer Science at Rice University working under Prof. Vivek Sarkar in the Habanero Multicore Software Research Project. My research interests include Parallel Programming Models and Runtime Systems. I have been involved in projects such as Habanero-Java, Habanero-Scala, CnC-Scala, CnC-Python, and CnC-Matlab.
- Integrating Task Parallelism with Actors. Shams Imam, Vivek Sarkar. Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA), October 2012.
- CnC-Python: Multicore Programming with High Productivity. Shams Imam, Vivek Sarkar. 4th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism (HotPar '12), June 2012. [accepted as poster with accompanying paper]
- Habanero-Scala: A Hybrid Programming model integrating Fork/Join and Actor models. Shams Imam. Master's Thesis, May 2012.
- Habanero-Scala: Async-Finish Programming in Scala. Shams Imam, Vivek Sarkar. The Third Scala Workshop (Scala Days 2012), April 2012.
- Interfacing Chapel with Traditional HPC Programming Languages. Adrian Prantl, Thomas Epperly, Shams Imam, Vivek Sarkar. PGAS11 Proceedings, October 2011.
- A Lossless Image Compression Technique Using Generic Peano Pattern Mask Tree. Mohammad Kabir Hossain, Shams Imam, K. Shajadul Hasan, William Perrizo. ICCIT 2008: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, December 2008.
- Transformations on Images Stored in Peano Mask Trees. Mohammad Kabir Hossain, Shams Imam, S. M. Rezaul Hoque. IEEE INMIC 2005: Proceedings of the 9th International Multitopic Conference, December 2005.
- A New Technique for Lossless Image Compression using PPM-Tree. Shams Imam, S. M. Rezaul Hoque, Mohammad Kabir Hossain, William Perrizo. ICCIT 2005: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, December 2005.
- Algorithm for Shifting Images Stored in Peano Mask Trees. S. M. Rezaul Hoque, Shams Imam, Mohammad Kabir Hossain, William Perrizo. ICCIT 2005: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, December 2005.
- Adding J into the Alphabet Soup. End of Internship Tech Talk, August 2012.
- CnC-Scala: a Declarative Approach to Multicore Parallelism. The Third Scala Workshop (Scala Days 2012), April 2012.
- Interfacing Chapel with traditional HPC programming languages. Graduate Research Seminar, Rice University, September 2011.
Master of Computer Science + Doctor of Philosophy
2009 to Current
Bachelor of Science
Summer 2010 and 2011
Summer 2011 and 2010
2009 to 2011
2005 to 2006
2009 to 2011
2007 to 2008
Junior Software Developer
2006 to 2007
shams (at) rice (dot) edu
6100 Main St
Houston TX 77005
Computer Science - MS # 132
P O Box 1892
Houston TX 77251-1892